Thursday, September 18, 2008

Frito Pie

Since I've lived my entire life in the Pacific Northwest, I hadn't heard of the gastronomic delight known as Frito Pie until a few years ago. And I admit, I was underwhelmed by the idea of putting chili on fritos and calling it a meal. But then earlier this year, I went to a work-related conference in Melbourne, Florida and discovered an amazing hot dog place called Mustard's Last Stand, and after eating my way through the menu (side note: macaroni salad and nacho cheese sauce on a hot dog is not as good as it sounds!) I eventually ordered their Frito Pie - and then I finally understood what Frito Pie was all about. Salty, spicy, crunchy, oozy deliciousness.

So last weekend Kevin and I went camping on the coast, and I was running out of food ideas. I love camping, but I'm not very good at coming up with camping menus. But Frito Pie filled saved the day. It's a perfect camping food.

I'm still not sold on the idea of Cincinnati Chili, though. That's a regional food that I still can't understand.

Frito Pie
3 cups of beef chili, preferably homemade
Half of an onion, diced
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Bag of Fritos corn chips (must be Fritos!)
Sour cream

Pour hot chili on top of plate of Fritos. Top with cheese, onion and sour cream and eat like a king.

No comments: